Thursday, November 15, 2007

Relationship


Photo: Flying together in a storm near Weed, California.

“The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is to love and be loved in return.”
From Nat King Cole’s “Nature Boy”

I just returned from the southern part of my spiritual territory: Mt. Shasta and Klamath Falls. I’ve been thinking about how writing, or any other creative act, is made up mostly of collecting experiences from a place of curiosity and presence. Having an ongoing relationship with a particular place and people adds layers and depth to the stories. I’ve been going to visit my friends in Bear Valley (on the Oregon California border) for a decade now. I have found that the juniper steppe, the white wings of Mt. Shasta and familiar hum of the desert wind have actually seeped right into my bones. And the voices of the people that love me become the story tellers in my dreams. Right relationship builds lives and a rich story. What I have found about writing is that witnessing a particular part of the earth and her people, while being seen in return, can build joy from the inside out. I wrote so many words while I was with my friends. But the words (or any physical manifestations) are just reflections in a broken mirror. What rises above our thinking and planning and moves into our beautiful wounded world feeds the creator within each of us. I’m grateful for the witness of my friends and the love of the earth. They are the chorus singing within me.

26,002 words.

RSS

No comments: